Sunday, February 19, 2017

Yikes! Another deadline approaches




A few months ago I agreed to participate in a group project to honour Montrealer Leonard Cohen. The chosen theme is the lyric from his song Anthem:

"Ring the bells that still can ring 
Forget your perfect offering 
There is a crack in everything 
That's how the light gets in. "

While no deadline was set, it was agreed that we would have photos of our works ready by March in order to search for suitable venues for a group show. I was reminded of this a couple of days ago. Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind. So...

... I had another look at a little group of collages I made last year, as part of an on-line class with Jane Davies. I actually made six in this set, each measuring 6 x 6.

Jazz Fest 2016

I think this kind of composition will be a starting point for my contribution to the project. Perhaps if I work larger, at least 20 x 20, say, and begin with a dark background....

The project will be my focus for the next while and I may not be posting here until I have something to show you. Stay tuned....

Meanwhile, if you'd like to read a thoughtful analysis of Anthem's lyrics, please have a look at this. Having just re-read George Orwell's 1984, I found it illuminating. 

Notably, the Musée d'Art Contemporain in Montreal will stage a multi-disciplinary show this fall, inspired by the work of Leonard Cohen. Leonard Cohen: Une brèche en toute chose / A Crack in Everything will be part of Montreal's 375th anniversary celebration.

3 comments:

carol edan said...

First thanks for the link to the song. Perfect!!! Love your collages. I am also taking an online from Jane Davies. What course did you take? Love her work and her way of teaching.

Candy said...

Thank you for the link to the leonard Cohen article. It was right on. I can't get that phrase out of my mind now, "the crack that lets the light in". He was so brilliant in so many ways. Looking forward to see what you do with this. Candy

allieb said...

Tha ks for postimg this. What a wonderful project. I will e so interested in seeing your final creation.