Sunday, November 29, 2020

Christmas cards 2020

Christmas card 2020

Every year I like to make a couple dozen Christmas postcards. I use materials I have on hand and sometimes try out a new technique, like hot-glue-fixed crystals, stencilling with metallic paint, or printing images on transparent organza.

This year I was inspired by a 12 x 12 piece I made some years ago, for a group challenge on the theme of "Jubilation".

Jubilation, 12" x 12"

I used printed and hand-dyed cottons, backed with a fusible web and cut into irregular, rectangular shapes. These were fused onto white cotton in a mosaic-like arrangement. One of the shapes was transformed into a candle with the addition of a small, green flame.

The message I've added to each card is "Find the Light. Be the Light." I hope these words will be uplifting, as all of us are dealing with what can seem like very dark days.

Scroll down to see some Christmas postcards from past years:

Christmas card 2018
metallic paint, stencilled
onto hand-dyed cotton

Christmas card 2017
fused cotton shapes, stitched with
heavy black thread

Christmas card 2016
hand-stamped letters,
image printed onto sheer organza
and stitched into place,
hand-dyed background

I send these postcards through the mail with nothing more than a stamp, and I like to think that they bring a smile to those whose paths they cross.

To learn more about editions from previous years, and their production, just enter Christmas in the search box, to the right.