Sunday, April 1, 2018

10 Textile Artists Who Are Pushing the Medium Forward

Judith Scott, Untitled

The editors of Artsy compiled this list about 18 months ago. It includes a few artists I have profiled on my blog in the past: Sheila Hicks, Judith Scott, and El Anatsui. And others that I'd like to learn more about.

El Anatsui, Timespace

Each entry includes a brief artist's bio and a mini-portfolio of images.


Sheila Hicks, Safe Passage

Well worth a look!

And in a similar vein:

Here's the link to an article in Huffington Post, titled "14 Women Artists Who've Changed the Way We Think About Design".


2 comments:

Margaret said...

I don't deny that these women were/are talented, nor do I wish to omit them from the history of textile design...

But what happens to those whose work travels a more conventional path -- not as "revolutionary" or "statement-making". Those who devote their textile work to original pieces for addition to home/office decor? Those whose call is to the "pretty" (or the 'beautiful') but not to the 'statement'? Will these ever be recognized?

Heather Dubreuil said...

My experience with urban galleries and museums is that, when it comes to contemporary art, they showcase cutting-edge work that pushes boundaries, challenges the viewer, and provokes controversy and conversation within the cognoscenti.

When we choose art for our homes, we might opt for something that reflects our appreciation of the natural world, or a favourite landscape, or elements like line, colour, and texture. We might even choose a style that was considered ground-breaking fifty years ago.

Artists who want to market their work to galleries need to find the right fit. I remember how delighted I was to tour the many galleries of Santa Fe a few years ago, because the work shown was so much more accessible than what I was seeing in Montreal and New York.

Apples and oranges? I think there's a place for both.