Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sailing on HMS Serendipity

Amsterdam canal scene
Had a message from a friend recently. She wanted to know if I had a 4" x 6" piece tucked away in my collection, preferably with a maritime theme, preferably featuring the colour teal.

Um... no.

4" x 6" fabric postcard




But then I remembered a photo I took during a trip to Amsterdam, and how I had always thought the image was worth working up into a finished piece.

So, a few hours later, the fibre postcard was finished and on its way by mail to a very appreciative collector. I used arashi-dyed cotton for the water.





As an example of synchronicity, this flyer appeared in my in-box the next day. It features a watercolour painting by Mary S. Martin on its cover.

3 comments:

Dianne Robinson said...

your rowboats are lovely. Nothing like a little suggestion to get you on another path?

I enjoyed both yours and Michele's displays at the Hudson Art Show today.

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thanks so much, Dianne, for taking the time to come by the show with Robbie.

Maggi said...

What a lovely small piece. All three photos look so good together, maybe you could start a series!