Sunday, January 3, 2016

Port Clyde #3, #4, #5


Port Clyde #3, 24 x 18
Some months ago, I decided to make some new work for my February solo show at the Arts Ottawa East gallery. I had always wanted to realize this image of a Maine coastal village in a larger size, having made it in 11 x 8.5 (twice) and 8 x 6 (titled Connectivity).

Port Clyde #4, 24 x 18
These pieces measure 24 x 18, and they will hang together on one of the gallery's larger walls.  The technique I use to make these cityscapes doesn't readily lend itself to work larger than, say, 24 x 24. As I would like to work bigger, I have been thinking about this issue for some time, and one solution that I have considered is to make separate pieces that will hang together.

Each of these began with an inspiration piece of mottled sky cloth, and the other colours were chosen, in part, to complement the backgrounds.

Port Clyde #5, 24 x 18
Because of other commitments, a few months elapsed between the inspiration and the execution. I enjoy my work much more when I am carried along by the enthusiasm of the original impulse. Listening to audiobooks in my studio kept me engaged through several hours of the finishing stage, which can feel, well, repetitive, especially if working on a single image in triplicate!


5 comments:

Dianne Robinson said...

I do like them Heather. Your blue one is perfect for the first exercise of my new course!

Vera Holmgren said...

They are lovely, great colors!

Heather Dubreuil said...

I'm intrigued by this new course you've undertaken, and hope you will keep me up-to-date on your assignments and projects.

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thank you for taking a moment to comment, Vera. I think using a mottled cotton for the sky was a good choice.

Maggi said...

I do like the way that having them together like this demonstrates just how different the colour choice can make a piece look.