Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Lesson 4: "100 Drawings"

Work continues apace in the Jane Davies' ten-week on-line class. This week our assignment was to make ten drawings using only black and white media (acrylic paint, acrylic ink, India ink, charcoal, graphite, marker, water-soluble crayon, wax crayon, pastel, etc.) We were to pay attention to variety (of line, shape, scale, value, edges, technique, etc.)


#1

We were to pay particular attention to achieving variety within each piece. For every composition, we were to reflect on each quadrant, and ensure that each was different from the others. I think this is really valuable advice for a successful composition.

Here are my ten "explorations", all 12" x 9".  I'm learning to embrace "happy accidents".


#2

#3

#4

#5

#6

#7

#8

#9

#10

You'll see more pattern here than in previous assignments, where it was discouraged. I enjoy pattern because I find it adds interest and variety of scale. Perhaps my experience with fibre is responsible for this familiarity with pattern.

No comments: