Sunday, October 28, 2018

Lesson 6, "100 Drawings"


#1
The one hard-edged shape (upper right corner) is too similar
in hue and value for its edges to be seen. All the rest have soft-edges.
But variety is good for scale of shapes, curved vs. rectilinear, opaque
vs. transparent. Four distinct quadrants. At least I thought so.
But Jane pointed out that the left-hand quads were virtually identical. :(

Our assignment for this week's episode of Jane Davies' "100 Drawings" class was to "have fun" with variety and colour. Specifically, we were to produce works that pushed variety of line, shape, edge, colour, scale, opacity and texture AND that had four distinctly different quadrants.

I did not have fun. I didn't even meet the requirements for variety and different quadrants.


#2
Mostly rectilinear. Good range of scale, colour, value.
Some hard edges, some soft. Four distinct quadrants.
Jane said: not enough variety of shape.

I think the point of the class was to have us "turn off" our inner critic, "to look at the trees and not the forest", as Jane put it. I have a hard time doing that. Jane admitted that some of the samples she produced to guide us were ugly. To me they looked like a hot mess. But that's what we were going for.

#3
Includes variety of scale, rectilinear and curved,
 hard and soft edges. Four distinct quadrants.
Jane: shapes and scale need more variety.

Because I'm short of time these days, I completed only six compositions, not the optimal ten. And because I was the first to post, I didn't have the benefit of seeing how the other participants handled the assignment. That applies not only to the paintings, but to the commentary required for them.


#4
Quadrants on left too much the same.
This will happen if you have one element extending
from one edge to opposite edge. Duh.
But good variety of technique: charcoal, collaged cloth, stencil.
Also variety of scale, opacity, value, edges.

#5
Tried something new here, applying alcohol through stencil
to lift paint (upper left dots).
Variety of edges, scale, value, opacity, line (sgraffito and marker)
curved and straight. Four distinct quadrants.

#6
Upper quadrants too similar, though one on right has faint stripes.
Variety of shapes, scale, edges, opacity, value.
Jane: insufficient variety of shapes, scale.

Jane's feedback was that I need to aim for maximal variety. She thought I could have varied my shapes and scale more, and pointed out that examples #1 and #2 don't have all quadrants sufficiently distinctive. I think if I had included two or three times the number of elements, I would have had a better chance at achieving this maximum variety: every single thing different in every possible way. Also, I could have used more line to add variety.

Many hours went into this, time well-spent, not because of the final product or because it even met with the requirements of the assignment. But because I had to pay attention to all those variables at the same time. Exhausting. Not fun.

Can I cut them up and use them for Christmas cards?

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Hmmm...Some of these look quite 'quilterly' -- that is, some strike me as having possibilities for backgrounds if they were in fabric. I empathize with your exhaustion; that assignment seemed to me as a steep learning curve to climb indeed!

Heather Dubreuil said...

Lesson 8 is painfully challenging too! But a very instructive exercise. More details to follow :-)

jordi said...

I cut mine up and I am still attaching them to postcards and sending them to friends..you will be amazed to see how much you like the parts. ☺️

Heather Dubreuil said...

Great idea, Jordi!