Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Where do you get your ideas?





I plan to make an art quilt to donate to SAQA's annual auction, and the deadline looms. The piece must measure 12" x 12".









To get started, I spent some time going through my images, stripping them of colour and cropping them from a rectangular shape to a square format. What a revelation that is! 










It amazes me how looking through the lens of a new format can make images look fresh and exciting. 









Maybe these images don't look like much to the casual viewer, but for me they present new possibilities for play with bold colour, value and composition.






With several shows coming up this year, I need to produce lots of new work. I'm thinking that some of these new pieces will be in a square format, probably 20" or 24".








So, where do ideas come from? Sometimes, they come from re-working familiar material, imposing new parameters on it.

Having a deadline can be helpful.



2 comments:

Maggi said...

Interesting to see your inspiration without the colour. A timely reminder too about the SAQA auction - must get on with it.

Heather Dubreuil said...

Look forward to seeing your entry, Maggi!