Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Port Clyde #2


Port Clyde #2


Port Clyde is a tiny town at the southern tip of a small peninsula in Maine. Its claim to fame is as the departure point for the ferry to Monhegan Island, a well-known artist retreat.

I took this photo there on a grey day in June, and then I transformed the image by using exaggerated sunset colours in hand-dyed cottons.













I read some advice for artists somewhere recently that said, more or less, "Push your strengths." I feel that my use of bold colour could be one of my strengths, so here is the result.

And I love the web formed by the overhead phone lines.

2 comments:

Vickie Wheatley said...

Heather, I love your work! Do you use free motion quilting or a regular stitch with feed dogs up? I would love to try this technique with some of the buildings Ive taken photos of in our travels.

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thank you for your kind words. Essentially I take one of my photos and produce a line drawing from it, then cut shapes out of hand-dyed cloth to represent the shapes in the drawing. I fuse them into place and then free-motion stitch on top. I can go into more detail if you like.

Will be away for the next 48 hours at a remote cottage, so without internet. May be breathing into a paper bag by nightfall.