Wednesday, May 28, 2014

An Image, and a Memory, Transformed

Earlier this month, after attending the SAQA conference in Alexandria, Virginia, I extended my trip to spend some time with an old friend, living in Pennsylvania. We had two days of great conversation, and even managed to fit in a visit to the Barnes collection and the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.

Newtown
On the way to the train station for my trip home, my friend drove me through the pretty villages of New Hope and Newtown, where she had lived before finding her current home in Doylestown. In Newtown, I convinced her to circle around a block, so I could take a photo of this interesting jumble of rooflines and windows. I promised that if I made a piece based on the image, I would send her a picture.

One week later, at the age of 64, my friend died suddenly of a heart attack.

Memories of Newtown
I thought of her constantly as I worked on this piece. Her favourite colour was blue, and it seemed like the best choice.

3 comments:

Kit Lang said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

The piece is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I accidentally posted before I had finished my comment. The quilt is lovely