Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Watercolour class & blogs


I think it's a good idea for artists to stretch themselves a bit by trying out a new medium or new subject matter from time to time. Even though I have a full slate of commitments for this year, I have signed up for a beginners' watercolour class at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts for the first week of August.

Why there? Well...


Chatham street, Shari Blaukopf





... I'm a huge fan of Lakeshore Artist Shari Blaukopf, active member of the international group Urban Sketchers, whose watercolour sketches are posted daily to her blog. I contacted Shari about her local or regional classes, but nothing is planned until 2015.









Jocelyne Lambert



Jocelyne Lambert, who is teaching at the MMFA, is a member of the Société Canadienne de l'Aquarelle. I've seen her work on-line and I like her sense of composition.  It's important to me to take a class with someone whose work I respect. And, if I'm going to take a class in a medium new to me, I think I would feel less self-conscious in a group of people I don't know.







Roof Work, James Gurney



Interested in learning more about watercolour? James Gurney's daily blog is a treasure trove of technical information on watercolour painting. His specialty subject is dinosaurs (yes, dinosaurs) but he often posts urban sketches or items of interest to artists in general.

No comments: