Sunday, May 31, 2015

Greek Village +

Greek Village, 11" x 8.5"





Another challenge from our international blogging group of textile artists. Every three months, one of us proposes a colour to be the subject of a small art quilt and this time, Jinnie chose "Lily White".

I find it difficult to work with white. Perhaps if I used more texture in my work I could make white more interesting. In nature, white often seems to reflect the colours around it, and then when white is shaded it becomes another colour entirely, like blue or violet or grey.





photo found on-line, unattributed










I've always loved the jumble of squares, rectangles and triangles presented by densely-packed villages, and when I found this image on the internet, I knew I had my subject.










Santa Cruz-de-Tenerife, 11 x 8.5





My first attempt at meeting the Lily White challenge, shown at left, was completed several weeks ago. Something of a departure from my usual Cityscape, it too was based on a "found" photo.  Which do you prefer?

The Big Reveal is scheduled for today, May 31. To see how the other group members have handled the challenge, please visit the 12 by the Dozen blog or website.

2 comments:

Debd said...

My favorite is the top one-greek village , I love your work!

Maggi said...

I'm a bit late in coming to this. I like both, the close up is very effective and the other one gives an entirely different perspective.