Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A Bit of Fun with Pierneef

Today our 12 by the dozen group unveils our responses to the latest quarterly challenge. This time around, Hilary Gooding chose the South African artist Pierneef. You can see some of his work here. I find his work somber, imposing and even foreboding, so the title of this post is a bit tongue-in-cheek. Pierneef just doesn't seem like a fun kind of guy.

Composition in Blue, Jacobus Hendrik Pierneef

I chose one of his paintings, Composition in Blue, from 1928, and focused in on the lower right corner, which gave me a simple little motif to work with that still represented his approach to landscape.

Composition in Blue, Jacobus Hendrik Pierneef (detail)

My first inclination was to duplicate the colours that he had chosen, and I got as far as selecting appropriate hand-dyed cottons.


hand-dyed cottons that match colours in painting

But that seemed a bit slavish. Where was the originality in that? I must admit I wasn't all that taken with the work of Pierneef, so I took some liberties and produced something in black-and-white patterned fabrics instead:


Holstein Heaven, 16 x 16

I happened to have some cotton printed with Holstein cattle so I cut them out and added them for a whimsical twist. A nod to the rolling pastoral landscape, complete with sheep and cattle, that I recently enjoyed in Shropshire with Hilary and other members of 12 by the dozen.

To see the other responses to the group challenge, please visit the 12 by the dozen blog and archive.


2 comments:

Margaret said...

Your interpretation of that painting flat out makes me smile. It's great!

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thanks for your comment, Margaret. Others use humour to great effect in their work, but it's new territory for me. Perhaps you have to know the whole backstory to find it amusing.