Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Love, Love, Love: a series

It's Valentine's Day as I write this, and I am reminded of a series I made some eight years ago.

Love, Love, Love #2
The text in the upper left corner is a quote from Helen Keller:
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart."

I named the series after a classic song by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, released in 1967, titled Love (Makes Me Do Foolish Things). Scroll to the end for a link to the song itself.

This series was an opportunity to play with paint on fabric, collaged tissue paper, image transfer, beads, buttons, ribbon, metallic paper, sheer organza and stitch. I made several full-sized, framed pieces in the series, and also perhaps forty 4" x 6" postcards, which I framed. A few of them are shown below. I found the small format a good way to experiment with composition and technique.














No comments: