Wednesday, October 31, 2018

New series at the Hudson Artists Fall Show


Pleased to participate once again in the annual fall show of the Hudson Artists. We will be about thirty exhibitors, working in a variety of media. We have lots of new members too, many of them very accomplished, so this is a chance to discover their work.

I will have three large, mixed-media paintings on display, each measuring 24 x 24. I've had a lifelong interest in painting, but over the last few years my skills and my "eye" have been developed through workshops with Jane Davies and others.

As I write this, the three canvases I plan to show are not quite finished, so the pressure is on! (Why do I do this to myself?) Well, I want to put my best foot forward of course. (The show will be judged!)

And I think we artists usually live with the conviction (illusion?) that our newest work is our best work. At least that's what we're most excited about because, really, how else could you sustain the energy needed to slog through the tough parts?

My three entries are from my new Time and Again series. They reflect on the patterns created by the "deconstruction of architecture". Not unlike the way that layers of paint and wallpaper, wood and brick can be revealed as a building falls into disrepair. The basic structure may be standing, but new textures and materials are revealed by the surface deterioration.


Time and Again #3
acrylic paint and collage, cloth, wallpaper, charcoal
24 x 24

Meanwhile, here is a photo of Time and Again #3, currently showing at Stewart Hall. (See previous post.) To view the three newest pantings in this series, please drop by the AHA show this weekend. I will be there on Friday evening and no doubt at other times too.

No comments: