Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Water Tower #4

Water Tower #4





SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) is assembling a 25th Anniversary Trunk Show, which will travel worldwide to promote the concept of quilts as art. Members are asked to donate a 10" x 7" piece, which will be put up for sale when the three-year tour ends. Water Tower #4 is my response to this call for entry.

The image is based on a photo I took while walking the High Line aerial park in New York. The photo is shown below.














I have updated my Artist Statement for a current show, which reads, in part:

"Heather’s cityscapes show the radiant transformation of an everyday exterior through the expressive potential of colour. She creates sensuous, aesthetic delight by a careful consideration of form and composition."

Yes, I love the interplay of neutrals in the urban landscape, but I also love to impose my own palette on that image, using hand-dyed cottons. These days, the vibrant colours seem to be my first choice.


No comments: