Sunday, December 9, 2018

A New Cityscape

It's true. I declared to my art friends a year or two ago that I would never make another cityscape.

But now I find myself preparing for a show that requires twenty cityscapes, and I am currently in possession of only 18. (I've been very fortunate to have sold most of the hundred-or-so that I have made over the years.)



A visit to Latvia this past summer allowed me to take this photo from the top of the Riga cathedral, using a good zoom lens. Thank you, Lauma, for convincing me that I needed a new camera, and then for showing me the sights in this intriguing city.

I am pleased to introduce my most recent cityscape, made of hand-dyed and commercially-printed cotton.


View from Riga cathedral, 24 x 18

Love those rooflines, the variety of scale, the punch of the reds against the neutrals, the range of value. I think that what I have been learning in painting workshops is reflected in this most recent work in fibre, and I am happy to include it in my upcoming show.

6 comments:

Vickie Wheatley said...

Love it!

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thank you, Vickie! I do like the way those shapes interlock, and the patterning of the windows.

Jane Wright said...

I love the depth and dimension of the aerial-ish viewpoint. Included in the designation 'artist' is always the implied right to choose your genre, medium, message or subject according to how you feel or obligations you have when you wake up on any given day.

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thank you for your supportive words, Jane. There's something about this kind of view that I have always found very satisfying.

Margaret said...

I too am glad you decided to make more cityscapes, and how rewarding to see that your hard work in those recent classes is showing up in work you've been thinking was too familiar!

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thanks, Margaret. It's been at least a couple of years since I've made a cityscape, and some of the pieces I'll be submitting to this upcoming show were made in 2013 and 2014. (!) Hard to believe so much time has passed.