Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Castle Donington & Nottingham

I'm staying with my friend Linda at her home in a small town near Derby, U.K. This morning I went for a walk around the village and took some photos of buildings, looking for that particular combination of shapes and details that I like.

Castle Donington

Castle Donington
Later we visited the city of Nottingham and again I was intrigued by its urban landscape. While there, we saw a wonderful show of art at Nottingham Contemporary, titled "Aquatopia". Running until September 22, the show features an international selection of work in many different media and from many different periods, all depicting "the imaginary of the ocean deep." Included were paintings by Lucian Freud and JMW Turner and sculpture by Barbara Hepworth, as well as video, glass, installation and scrimshaw. With perhaps sixty works, the great variety made for a really interesting show. Unfortunately, photos were not permitted, as has been the case in all the art shows I have visited while here in the U.K.


Nottingham alley

View from Nottingham Castle

 
Nottingham






No comments: